e-Estonia is a success story that grew out of a partnership between a forward-thinking government, a pro-active ICT sector and a switched-on, tech-savvy population.
Interesting facts about Estonia:
- Wireless networks cover the entire country. You can enjoy wifi in public transport or when camping in the forest.
- 3G and 4G networks are available anywhere across the country. Tallinn will be one of the first cities in the world to get mobile 5G network in 2018.
- Estonia is the first in the 2015 International Tax Competitiveness Index, thanks to 0% income tax that applies on all reinvested profits.
- The electronic ID-system covers over 94% of population, making it unique in the world.
- Estonia has set a world record for the fastest establishment of a new company – just 18 minutes!
- Widely used online solutions such as Skype, Transferwise and ZeroTurnaround were born in Estonia.
Why is Estonia called e-Estonia?
According to Wikipedia, e-Estonia refers to a movement by the government of Estonia to facilitate citizen interactions with the state through the use of electronic solutions. E-services created under this initiative include i-Voting, e-Tax Board, e-Business, e-Banking, e-Ticket, e-School, University via internet, the e-Governance Academy, as well as the release of several mobile applications.
Estonia has been well known for being in the forefront when it comes to Internet- and technology-related advances and using them effectively for the benefit of both individuals and businesses. A great change came about with the introduction of the X-Road system, which supports all available e-services. E-services are available both in the public and private sector. Opening and operating a business and most of the daily activities related to it have been made quick and easy by the creation of online services such as the e-Tax Board/e-Customs for the Estonian Tax and Customs and the e-Commercial Register.
Both business and private banking can be done online and those who hold an Estonian ID card are even able to sign contracts with the online authentication system. Individuals can use e-services for a variety of functions including e-health services and voting at Parliamentary elections; entrepreneurs have an array of services ranging from licensing and registration to culture and leisure projects available to them online.
In addition, Estonia boasts being listed as seventh in the world in cyber security, which further ensures that the e-solutions offered in Estonia are efficient and safe.
Read also about the Estonian e-Residency program.